Otar Chakvetadze has been actively participating in various exhibitions both in Georgia and abroad since his student years. The artist has worked in the US and Germany for some time, where his solo exhibitions were organized, often of a charitable nature.
Otar Chakvetadze’s works were exhibited:In Georgia:
- 1987 -spring and autumn exhibitions of artists organized at Tbilisi Artist’s House;
- 1993 -Sheraton Metekhi Palace, personal exhibition of the artist in Tbilisi;
- 1996 – The second personal exhibition of the artist was held at the Sheraton Metekhi Palace in Tbilisi;
- 2001 -Tbilisi, Gallery N, An exhibition of works by contemporary artists of the XX century.
- 2002 -Tbilisi, the “Jubilee Exhibition” of the professors of Tbilisi State Academy of Arts was held at the Gallery of Contemporary Art, where the works of Otar Chakvetadze were exhibited;
- 2003- Batumi, Lado Gudiashvili Artist’s House, personal exhibition of the artist;
- 2004 -Tbilisi, the personal exhibition of the artist was organized at the Embassy of the USA.
- 2005 -Tbilisi, National Gallery of Paintings, the works of the artist were exhibited at the “Christmas Festival”
- 2006 -Tbilisi, Gallery “Hobby”, “Christmas Exhibition”.
- 2006 – An exhibition of works by professors of the Painting Department was held in the exhibition hall of Tbilisi State Academy of Arts, where the artist’s works were exhibited.
- 2006 -Tbilisi, Gallery ”Rea”, exhibition of the artist’s works;
- 2006 -Tbilisi, Gallery “Arsi”, personal exhibition of the artist;
- 2013- Tbilisi, “Gala Gallery”, personal exhibition of the artist “Colorful Framing”;
- 2014- Tbilisi, Gallery “Sfumato”, personal exhibition of the artist “Mysteria”;
- 2015 Tbilisi, Gallery of the Academy of Arts on Shardeni Street, exhibition of the artist’s works;
- 2017 Tbilisi, the Museum of Contemporary Art MoMa, Exhibition of the Artist’s Works;
- 2021 Tbilisi, Solomon Art Gallery, personal exhibition of the artist;
- 1992 State of Delaware, University of Newark “Kleiton-hool”, personal exhibition;
- 1992 State of Delaware, City Hall Gallery of Wilmington, personal exhibition;
- 1992 A personal exhibition of the artist was held at the Wilmington Central Library;
- 1990 Brockdorff Palace Museum, Glückstadt; Personal charity exhibition;
- 1991 Schorndorf Town Hall Gallery, Exhibition;
- 1991 Cultural Center of Hambrücken , Exhibition;
- 1991 Central Gallery of Bruchsal, Exhibition;
- 1993 A personal exhibition of the artist was organized at Cultural Center “Ziglersaal” in Karlsruhe;
- 1994 Karlsruhe, “Gate art gallery” exhibited the works of the artist;
- 1995 Stuttgart, SUD WEST L.B Bank hosted a personal exhibition of the artist;
- 1996 Schorndorf, “Galerie am Rathaus”, Charity Exhibition;
- 1997 Gallery of the Central Library in Karlsruhe, exhibition.
- 1997 City Hall Gallery of Freiburg, personal charity exhibition;
- 1998 Gallery of Denzlingen , Exhibition;
- 1998 Gross-Zimmern, Cultural Center “Glöckelchen”, Exhibition;
- 1999 Oberhausen “Galerie Mersman” -Charity Exhibition;
- 1999 Hilden, “Galerie am Rathaus”, exhibition;
- 2001 Worpswede, Cultural Center “Galerie Bernack”, exhibition;
- 2006 Gluckstadt, “Galerie am Rathaus”, Exhibition of Private Collections;
- 2008 Marburg, Gallery “GeWoBau”, an exhibition of works by Georgian artists, with the support of the Embassy of Georgia in Germany.
- 2008 Frankfurt, Gallery “NWZ”, an exhibition of works by Georgian artists, with the support of the Embassy of Georgia in Germany.
- 2009 Hamburg, Art Cooperation Walter Chuck Gallery, Exhibition;
- 2009 Hamburg, Art Cooperation East West Fine Art Gamma Walterczak Gallery, Exhibition;
- 2020 Dresden, group exhibition;
- 1985 Yasnaya-Polyana, L. Tolstoy House-Museum, Exhibition;
- 1989 Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Leningrad Academy of Arts, “Exhibition of the best diploma works”;
- 1989 Kaliningrad Museum of Art, Exhibition, Silver Medal Laureate;
- 1989 Moscow, the Seventh Union Exhibition of Etching;
- 1990 Kaliningrad, Central Gallery, 1st Union Biennale of Graphics;
- 2007 Bilkent University of Ankara, Exhibition of Professors of Tbilisi State Academy of Arts;
- 2007 University of Tehran, Exhibition of Professors of Tbilisi State Academy of Arts;
- 2011 Tehran, Exhibition “Georgian Artists in Iran”;
- 2009 Madrid, Gallery “Dali Plaza”, exhibition;
- 2009 Central Gallery of Bukovina, Exhibition;
- 2009 Sighisoara Exhibition Hall, Exhibition;
- 2010 Exhibition Hall of Varna City Hall, Exhibition;
- 2012 Exhibition Hall of Byala City Hall, Exhibition;
- 2013 Gallery of Burgas, Exhibition.
Otar Chakvetadze is a professor at the Painting Department of Apollon Kutateladze State Academy of Fine Arts in Tbilisi.
Otar Chakvetadze works on both graphics and painting. His works are exceptional because of colors and abstraction of forms. The compositional solution of the image is important for the artist as well as the interrelation and harmony of color, line and shape. In the artist’s abstract compositions, the pictorial plane is completely filled with geometric shapes and linear accents (“The East of the Sun”, 2021,). Sometimes his works are of a collage nature, and in addition to color, pieces of colored rope are used, parts of the fabric embossed on the compositions (“A Big Room”, 2020; “The Dream of the Midsummer Night”, 2020; “The Reflection”, 2020;). It is also characteristic of the artist to use photographs as color accents in compositions (“The Unforgettable Kiss”, 2020). The artist often uses abstract forms as a background for a specific compositional theme (“Jazz”, 2020; “The Silence of the Lambs”, 2021). Various landscapes created with geometric shapes have a special place in the work of Otar Chakvetadze, from the urban landscape of any city (“Alhambra” 2020) to the portrayal of nature using minimalistic geometric forms (“Borjomi Gorge”, 2020). The artist often portrays the landscape in contrasting colors, with minimalistic portrayal of forms (“Mallorca Coast”, 2020). All these compositions of the artist are quite thoughtfully depicted and are characterized by great tact and mastery of color matching.
Otar Chakvetadze’s work is one of the most important and interesting achievements of contemporary Georgian painting. The innovative creative manner of the artist has advanced contemporary Georgian painting.